The law requires a landlord to take certain steps in order to make you pay an increase in rent. First, your existing lease at your present rent has to end. This means that the landlord cannot increase the rent during your lease. For example, if you have a lease for a one-year period, the rent cannot be increased during the period of the lease. To raise the rent, the landlord has to wait until your lease is about to expire and then take action to end your lease.

According to section 650-2 Maximum rent increase. No landlord shall, after the effective date of this section, charge any rents for any dwelling units, as defined herein, in excess of what he or she was receiving on the effective date of this chapter, except for increases and surcharges authorized by this chapter and all amendments thereto. Establishments of rents between a landlord and a tenant to whom this chapter is applicable shall hereafter be determined by the provisions of this chapter. At the expiration of a lease, no landlord shall request or receive a percentage increase in rent either in excess of the average consumer price index for the preceding 12 months, for the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, metropolitan area as published by the United States Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, or by more than 6% of the most recent rent, whichever is less.

[Amended 10-27-1994 by Ord. No. MC-3040; 5-10-2011 by Ord. No. MC-4609]


The Rent Control Board’s primary function is to conduct hearings and mediation of tenant and landlord petitions regarding the adjustment of rents under the City’s rent control laws adopted by City Council of the City of Camden.

The Rent Control Board cannot arbitrate matters that are not part of Chapter 650, Rent Control Regulations, Rent Control Board, of the Revised General Ordinances of the City of Camden. For example, we do not have jurisdiction to adjudicate alleged breaches of a rental agreement, which must be decided in court. The Rent Control Board also cannot hear cases concerning issues of discrimination, harassment or retaliation, as such matters are outside of our jurisdiction. Please contact the Department of Community Affairs regarding these issues.

The Rent Control Board provides counseling information on subjects that are covered by the Rent Ordinance ONLY. Please understand that our staff CANNOT give legal advice and they are instructed to let you know when your question is one that should properly be answered by a lawyer. While we cannot refer you to individual attorneys, our staff will be glad to direct you to the appropriate resources for advice and assistance. A list of these resources is available through the referral listing on our website. Please note that you DO NOT need a lawyer to file a petition at the Rent Control Office. Due to high demand and a limited number of staff, there can sometimes be

delays in speaking with a representative. It is helpful if you have your questions written down before you speak with a representative.